December’s character trait, empathy, allows us to relate to others and their experiences. It also allows us to put our own lives into perspective by realizing how lucky we are. During the holiday season we practice empathy: we recognize that other people are not as fortunate as we are, and we go out of our way to make others feel valued.
Practice empathy in the following ways:
- Find a local charity where you can donate your time or goods. You don’t have to make large contribution to make a difference in someone else’s life. For example, this season Virtual High School’s staff and faculty are donating to a local women’s shelter and a local toy drive.
- Take the time to actively listen to others. Listen to understand rather than just answering. You may learn something important about a family member, friend, or peer at school.
- Think about how your actions affect other people and how your actions make them feel.
- Make an active effort to learn more about what is going on in the world, whether it is in your own community or across the globe. Our experiences are all connected.
- Celebrate the successes of other people rather than focusing only on your own achievements.
Make sure you follow @TheRealVHS’s Twitter account as we celebrate Empathy in December!