Virtual High School (VHS) provides online high school courses to students in Ontario and around the world. We have grown to be one of the largest private high schools issuing Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) credits in Canada. We strive to be a leader in online education; our mission is to provide the best learning experience for our students, with a flexible learning environment and the capacity of technology to connect our students with quality education. VHS also operates Virtual Elementary School (VES), a private, non-inspected elementary school recognized by the Ministry of Education in Ontario.
VHS is located in Bayfield, Ontario, a picturesque heritage village along the eastern shore of Lake Huron. Bayfield offers scenic views and natural beauty, in addition to beautiful beaches and the Bayfield River. With gourmet dining, art galleries, and shops along historic Main Street, VHS is in the middle of a village with cultural appeal and charm.
Working at VHS
We make every effort to provide a collaborative, creative, and energetic work environment for our employees. Our team of department heads, administrators, and developers all work at our office in Bayfield, Ontario. We offer competitive compensation, flexible work hours, an open-architecture workspace (rather than cubicles), relaxed dress code, fitness benefits, and a dog-friendly office. Most importantly, you will be part of a talented and committed team creating high-end products and providing exceptional customer service to all of our students.
Teaching at VHS
In addition to our in-house staff, VHS has a team of highly talented teachers. Our teachers all work remotely to provide support to our worldwide student body. Teaching roles at VHS are flexible and can fit into any schedule. Teachers work with VHS to set appropriate course enrolment numbers and can decide when and how they log in each day. VHS has specific expectations for teacher communication and feedback to ensure we provide the best support to our students, and our team of department heads is there to support teachers every step of the way.
Virtual High School is always accepting resumes from qualified teachers. When a position becomes available, we review the candidates in our teacher candidacy pool to determine whether any applicants possess the necessary skills and qualifications. Our team then reaches out to any potential candidates.
If you are interested in joining our teacher candidate list, please send your resume and a cover letter to Careers@VirtualHighSchool.com. Our Human Resources team will contact you with a short questionnaire and further information about teaching at VHS.
Current Employment Opportunities
Department Head – Mathematics and Computer Science
Position: Full-time, permanent
Location: Virtual High School in Bayfield, Ontario
The Company: Virtual High School (VHS) provides online high school courses to students in Ontario and around the world. As a private school issuing Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) credits, we have grown to be one of the largest private high schools in Canada. We strive to be a leader in online education; our mission is to provide the best learning experience for our students using a flexible learning environment and the capacity of technology to connect our students with quality education.
Compensation: We offer competitive compensation, a full benefits package, flexible work hours, an open architecture workspace, relaxed dress code, fitness benefits, and a dog-friendly office. Most importantly, you will work as part of a talented and committed team to provide exceptional customer service to all of our students.
The Position: We are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as a Department Head for the Mathematics and Computer Science Departments at VHS. The selected candidate will be responsible for managing course content and delivery, student-teacher interactions, academics, and administrative services for all respective courses within the Mathematics and Computer Science departments.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee the teaching of courses in the Mathematics and Computer Science departments and provide feedback and support to online teachers.
- Manage course content and design in respective departments to ensure accuracy, quality, and compliance with Ministry guidelines and curriculum requirements.
- Act as the main point of contact with parents, students, and teachers for inquiries within the Mathematics and Computer Science departments.
- Coordinate departmental functions related to school policies and procedures, academic integrity, student progression, help desk, and other teacher and student activity within the departments.
- Work collaboratively with School Administration and other team members to address questions, solve problems, and provide high quality customer service and student support.
- Find innovative ways to approach online learning and instructional design.
The Qualified Candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science OR related field/experience.
- Bachelor of Education with a teachable in Mathematics, Computer Science OR equivalent experience.
- Ontario College of Teachers membership in good standing, or equivalent.
- Experience teaching in the classroom and/or online.
- Experience using Adobe Dreamweaver, HTML programming, or content management systems.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Exceptional skills in writing and research.
- The ability to work well independently and as a team to complete tasks.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Well-developed technical skills and ability.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Experience teaching at the high school and elementary levels.
- 3-5 years’ experience in education, technology, or related field.
- Experience in curriculum development and/or program planning.
- Familiarity with Growing Success (2010).
- Demonstrated experience with online learning management systems.
The Location: This position requires the successful candidates to work at VHS's office in Bayfield. With Virtual High School located on Main Street, an exciting opportunity awaits to become part of a leading company in online education.
To Apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Careers@VirtualHighSchool.com.
If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please email Careers@VirtualHighSchool.com and a member of our HR team will respond. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.