10. Ontario Student Transcript (OST)
The Ontario Student Transcript (OST) is an official document maintained by the Ontario school for each student. The OST is stored in the student's Ontario Student Record (OSR) and retained for 55 years after a student retires from school. It is a record of all secondary school course work and diploma requirements. The OST will be issued to students whose OSR is held by Virtual High School as required and upon graduation. In September 1999, the Ontario Ministry of Education instructed that schools in Ontario implement a policy of full disclosure. This policy states that all grades 11 and 12 courses attempted by students must be recorded on the OST. Students who require a certified copy of their OST from Virtual High School may contact the Virtual High School administrative staff. If the student is currently attending another school - public or private - and is simply taking a single course with Virtual High School, then that student's OSR will reside at the school that the student is attending full time. Virtual High School will forward an official copy of the student's final report card for the course taken at Virtual High School to the student's home school (the school which holds the OSR), so that the credit can be added to the OST. Virtual High School establishes or obtains a student's OSR containing the OST, only if the student becomes the sole responsibility of Virtual High School.
10.1 Withdrawal from a Course
- If a student withdraws from their Virtual High School course within 5 days of Virtual High School issuing the first report card, the course attempt will not be recorded on the OST.
- If a student withdraws from a Grade 11 or 12 course after 5 days of Virtual High School issuing the first report card, a "W" will be recorded in the "Credit" column of the OST along with the mark at the time of the withdrawal.
- Withdrawals from Grade 9 or 10 courses are not recorded on the OST.
- Withdrawals at anytime from Grade 9 or 10 courses are not recorded on the OST.
- If there are extraordinary circumstances relating to a student's withdrawal from a course, an "S" may be recorded in the "Note" column on the OST.
10.2 Repetition of a Course
- Only one credit is earned if a course is repeated.
- In grades 11 and 12, an "R" will be recorded in the "Credit" column of the student's OST for the course attempt with the lower mark. The credit will be granted for the course attempt which received the higher mark.
10.3 Equivalent Credits
Out of province students or transfers from non-inspected private schools may be granted equivalent credits upon the principal's evaluation of the student's previous learning.
- "Equivalent Credits" are entered in the "Course Title" column.
- "PLE" entered in the "Course Code" column.
- "EQV" in the "Percentage Grade" column.
- the total number of credits entered into the "Credit" column.
- and the number of compulsory credits entered into the "Compulsory" column.