English as a Second Language (ESL)
- To Register: For the course you wish to enroll in, simply click on the "Register" link at the end of its row in the chart below.
- Registering for More Than One Course: Enroll for more than one course by selecting one from this table. You will then be able to select more courses later in the registration process.
- Prerequisites: A prerequisite course provides knowledge required for a subsequent course. Before you register, check the information in the table below to determine what the prerequisite course is, if applicable. After you register for your course, you must provide VHS with evidence that you have completed the prerequisite course by sending a copy of your report card, transcript, or credit counselling summary sheet to Prerequisite@VirtualHighSchool.com. If you do not have the exact prerequisite, but have completed a similar course in another province or country, you may be eligible for a prerequisite waiver. You may also be eligible if you have earned your high school diploma, are a mature student, or have academic experience that is related to your course. If this applies to you, please submit the completed Prerequisite Waiver Application form to your Guidance Coordinator.
- Upgrade Course: If you are repeating a course in an attempt to achieve a higher grade, you may take an upgrade course. An upgrade course covers all curriculum requirements but has a reduced assessment load. These courses count towards the students' OSSDs in the same way that all other VHS courses do. To be eligible to take an upgrade course, students must have completed the same course within the past 12 months and earned a passing grade (at least 50%). Available upgrade courses are listed for each grade level in the chart below.
- International Students: At VHS, students are considered international students if they are not Canadian citizens nor permanently residing in Canada. If you are a Canadian Citizen or have a permanent residence in Canada, but are registering from an address outside of Canada, please be sure to contact our office before proceeding to register to ensure the appropriate course fee is applied.
- Policies: The Fine Print at the bottom of this page outlines our policies regarding tuition refunds, course transfers, course enrollments, prerequisites, and confidentiality.
ESLBO - English as a Second Language, Level 2
This course extends studentsí listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English for everyday and academic purposes. Students will participate in conversations in structured situations on a variety of familiar and new topics; read a variety of texts designed or adapted for English language learners; expand their knowledge of English grammatical structures and sentence patterns; and link English sentences to compose paragraphs. The course also supports studentsí continuing adaptation to the Ontario school system.
|Prerequisite: English as a Second Language, Level 1 (Open), ESLAO or equivalent||Course Outline||Register Now|
The Fine Print
Course Transfer Policy: A student has the option to transfer from one course to another at any time within the 18-month completion deadline*. If a student transfers into a new course, the 18-month deadline will not refresh. The student will be required to complete the new course within the original 18-month deadline, based upon the enrolment date of the original course. If a student requests a transfer, an administrative fee will apply. This fee may range from $49-$304, depending on the circumstances.
*Transfers will not be available to a student who has completed more than three assessments or to a student who has extended the course past the initial 18 month deadline.
Student Enrollment Policy: There is no set schedule for a student to follow or due dates to complete assignments. The student can start the course within 24 hours of registration and move through at his or her own pace. The only restriction is that the course must be completed within 18 months of enrollment. A student will be removed from a course if he or she takes longer than 18 months to complete.
Course Prerequisite Policy: Certain courses require the student to have completed a prerequisite course. It is the student's responsibility to provide a copy of an Ontario Student Transcript, Report Card or Credit Counselling Summary showing successful completion of the prerequisite course. This may be sent to Prerequisite@VirtualHighSchool.com upon registration. A student may register at any time and have access to the first unit of a course, however the rest of the content will remain locked until prerequisite evidence has been provided.
If the student has not completed the prerequisite course, but has completed an equivalent course outside of Ontario, is a mature student, or has higher-level education, the student may request VHS to waive the prerequisite requirement by submitting a Prerequisite Waiver Application to the VHS Guidance Team before registering.
Confidentiality Policy: Please note that VHS may communicate with parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 18. In addition, VHS will communicate with any student's home school and applicable post-secondary institutions or organizations. Students over the age of 18 will receive an email upon registration requesting permission to allow VHS to communicate with third party individuals.
Through use of the VHS website, you will have access to third party organizations, such as Examity and GradeSlam. Only basic information, such as your name and VHS email address, is shared with these organizations for the purpose of accessing and using their services. By accessing the websites or platforms of any third party organization through the VHS website, you are agreeing to the policies and procedures of that organization.
All policies may be modified at any time at the Virtual High School website. The use of Virtual High School courses indicates that the student and/or parent/guardian accepts these aforementioned policies.