International Students at Virtual High School
Anybody seeking a quality education can attend Virtual High School from anywhere in the world! Students from across the globe choose Virtual High School (VHS) in order to earn individual credits or work towards obtaining their high school diplomas. The Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) is accepted by colleges and universities around the world and can be earned completely online with VHS.
Who Are International Students?
At VHS, students are considered international students if they are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents in Canada. If you are registering from an address outside of Canada and (1) are a Canadian citizen, (2) have a permanent residence in Canada, or (3) are attending a Canadian international school which provides the Ontario curriculum, please be sure to contact our office before proceeding to register in order to ensure the appropriate tuition fee is applied.
Do I Need a Student Visa or Study Permit?
No, students are not required to obtain student visas or study permits to complete courses with Virtual High School. Our courses are completely accessible online, and the diploma requirements (i.e. community involvement hours and the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test) can be completed in any country.
If you do plan to come to Canada to study at any point, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada for more information on entrance and residency permits and visas. This is not required by VHS, and VHS does not facilitate or offer any student exchange programs.
Why Choose Virtual High School?
- Each course has a qualified teacher certified by the Ontario College of Teachers or its equivalent. Teachers will be available to assist students throughout the courses.
- VHS provides each student with online tutoring.
- Our courses are written and developed by professional educators.
- Each course follows the standards and curricula set out by the Ministry of Education in Ontario.
- Students are allowed up to 18 months in which to complete each course and move through at their own pace.
- Students can work on their courses at any hour of any day.
- Students have the freedom to create their own deadlines and due dates, but can use our optional pacing tool to help stay on track with their goals.
- All online course content exists in the BrightspaceTM learning environment by D2LTM.
- All quizzes, tests, and final exams are completed online.
- All feedback and interactions with teachers or other students occur within the secure learning environment.
How Can I Get Started?
Looking to take a few Ontario courses? Maybe you want to earn the Ontario Secondary School Diploma with VHS? See below for details on how to get started.
Can I Only Take a Few Courses With VHS?
If you would like to ake a few courses with VHS for any reason, you can begin at any time. You can get started by reviewing the available courses. You will need to determine if each course you would like to take has a prerequisite.
If your selected course has a prerequisite and you have previously completed courses outside of Ontario, please submit a Prerequisite Waiver Application with your supporting documentation and photo ID to Waivers@VirtualHighSchool.com prior to registering.
Once you receive approval from the VHS Guidance Team, you can proceed with registering online.
How Can I Earn the OSSD Online With VHS?
You should connect with the VHS Guidance Team in advance so that you know which courses you will be required to take for the purpose of earning the OSSD. If you have successfully completed any level of high school outside of Ontario, you may be eligible to receive equivalent credits towards earning the OSSD.
If you think you might be eligible for equivalent credits, please submit the Equivalent Credit Assessment Application with the required supporting documentation and application fee.
Once you receive the list of courses you are still required to take in order to earn the OSSD, you can proceed with registering online.
If you have questions about course selection or English language requirements for studying with VHS, please reach out to Information@VirtualHighSchool.com.